Welcome!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Oobleck and transportation

Hmmm, oobleck and transportation together would be a really big mess. But, as I said before, we are STILL in catch-up mode. These poor little kids are working nonstop!!The good part is that they are 5 and 6 years old so they have plenty of energy for all the work. We ran out of time last week so we are finishing up some Dr. Seuss things this week along with beginning our transportation unit. I have to say, I am sooooooooo excited. We are to my FAVORITE time of year. From this point forward, there will not be enough time in the day to accomplish everything I want them to do/learn. Transportation, energy, force, and motion, farm, zoo, and ocean. Man, does it get any better? We start transportation with a chart telling what we know about transportation.  It's not really a KWL chart but more along the lines of what we know and we can add as we go. Today we read the book, The Wheels on the Bus. Well, actually we sang along to it. That song never gets old in K. We thought about how we get to school. We do this at the beginning of the year but now we discuss it as transportation. Each child was given a sheet of paper and drew a picture of a bus, car, van, or truck depending on how they get to school. After they finished it, they painted using water colors. They turned out soooo cute. They also made our school- it looks pretty funny!!!, and a sign. We will hang these tomorrow. I will attach some pics so you can see their hard work.  Yesterday, we made oobleck. We read the story, Bartholomew and the Oobleck by: Dr. Seuss. It is a really cute story. They were amazed at 1. how messy I ended up and 2. how absolutely cool it is. Each child completed an observation page about the oobleck. I think next week we are going to "explore" oobleck in our science center. We are going to sink and float objects and honestly, just play with it. It is too cool not to play with more.


This was our guest reader. Thanks Mr. Tidmore. We had a great time.


 My kids HAVE to have their pic taken with anyone that comes to our classroom. Luckily, Mr. Tidmore didn't mind at all!!

 Now, on to oobleck. Look how filthy we ended up!





 Here is what we did: cornstarch
 They insisted I add the pic of my pants. They thought it was great that I ended up a big mess.
 green food coloring and water
 mix together




 Here we are recording what we saw, smelled, and felt.








 Feeling the oobleck...














































 This is another map activity. We looked at our state map and then tried to find Alabama on the US map. When we found it, we colored it red and the rest of the US blue.





 This was our state map. We marble rolled it.
 One of my favorites. I love his stories.
 Now, on to our school. We painted it to look like brick- yes, that is brick.

 and our tin roof

 and our sign from our website.



 We read The Wheels on the Bus and made the vehicle we ride in to school.






 These are our Thing 1 and Thing 2 we made. I showed them a pic and they created their own. I think they did great.
 The finished sign. It is awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment